What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award is an award created by the blogger community to recognize outstanding up & coming bloggers.
This year, we were nominated by the ever amazing, Life as Marissa. We were also nominated by the MVMT Blog. As part of the Liebster Award process, nominees are supposed to answer a Q&A created by the individual that nominated the blogger and then produce a Q&A for the next nominated person.
- How has travel changed you as a person?
After seeing countless countries and experiencing numerous ways of living, travel has completely opened our minds to the world. It has taught us humility, patience and gratitude. It has also taught us to be happy with what we have. In America, we are so conditioned to value material things; whereas, traveling the world has taught us that time wealth means more than any material possession. Travel has taught us to value memories and not things.
- What do you hope you can accomplish for yourself or others through traveling?
On a grander societal scale, as travelers, we crave human connection and strive to create harmony amongst religions, ages, races and genders. In an age where so many people are afraid of the world and the unknown, we seek to bridge the gap. We are firm believers that love will always win. Our travels tell the story of foreign lands, of new ways of thinking and of unique travel experiences around the world. We tell these stories in order to educate the world and stop the fear and hate of the unknown.
- Name something you’ve experienced in a culture other than your own that you loved or appreciated, and describe why.
We traveled to Jordan in the fall of 2016 and fell in love with their sense of community. Every person is treated like family and no one is left behind. This is why there is such a low number of homeless people or unemployed people because the community stands behind its people. Unlike the United States where people take pride in individualism, in Jordan the community’s well being took priority over individual needs. This lead to the community as a whole benefiting and growing together. We experienced this first hand, as soon as we entered Jordan, we immediately felt like we were a part of something greater. Despite being foreigners, we felt like we belonged.
- What is the most unconventional thing on your bucket list?
Climbing the Tiger’s Nest in Bhutan
- What’s the craziest thing that’s ever happened to you while traveling?
The craziest thing that ever happened to us while traveling was meeting some of our best friends. While the thought of meeting people on the road isn’t crazy, the way the friendship blossomed proves the beauty and insanity of travel. We met our fellow American friends, Dre and Bry, by chance while we were both vagabonding through the South Island of New Zealand. We met for drinks and immediately felt a connection. Our double date went from drinks to dinner, dinner to ice cream, and ice cream to….sleeping over on the first date? Now before you pervs jump to conclusion, Scott & I were camping across New Zealand and Dre & Bry happened to have a two-bedroom apartment. They invited us into their home and let us have a roof over our heads for a night. We then drove them to their next destination the following day. Since then, we’ve traveled to multiple countries together and count them as some of our closest friends.
- What are the top five places you would like to visit?
Thank you for having this question include five answers because we could never narrow it down to just one! Our top five places would be:
- Alaska – we would cruise in the summer and heli-ski in the winter!
- Egypt – a Nile cruise and exploring the ancient artifacts and pyramids.
- Morocco – spending our days getting lost in the medinas of Marrakech and camping underneath the stars in the Atlas Mountains.
- Yosemite, California – even though we live so close to it, we still have never tackled Yosemite! We would camp under the stars and climb Half Dome.
- Cuba – renting a vintage car and cruising around the island in style before all of the cruise companies destroy the authenticity.
- What are the top three things you’d like to try one day (it can be anything!)?
- For Scott, it would definitely be heli-skiing.
- We would both like to hike base camp at Everest.
- Swimming with whale sharks in Mexico
- If you could be instantly fluent in one language, which would it be?
Even though Spanish or Chinese would be the most advantageous to our travels and the economy, we fell in love with the sensuality of Italian. I could be saying that I have food poisoning and it would sound sweet to the tip of the tongue.
- What do you hope to accomplish through your blog?
At Roamaroo we say, “quit your day job, but don’t quit your daydream.” We hope to inspire people to lead the lives that they want to live at their very core; Not the life that society or the type-A path tells us to live. We only have one life to live, we must lead it and love it with intention. So often, we wait for someone else to give us permission to do something in life. Roamaroo not only grants you the permission to follow your dreams, but it empowers you to do so. Want to travel the world? The time is now. Want to go back to school to finish your degree? Don’t wait for someday. Dreaming of changing your career? Start today. We empower you to be the best you that you can be.
- Who in your life has influenced your blog the most or been your biggest source of support?
Our families and friends have been our biggest supporters. Early on there were days when we felt like we made the wrong decision to pursue our dream, they would call or send us an email filled with support about how much they loved what we were doing. It was times like this that we realized we were pursuing the right path.
- What are your professional aspirations?
We would like to grow Roamaroo as a key thought leader in travel that inspires others to follow their travel dreams. We’d like Roamaroo to grow as a company where we have dozens of writers and creatives traveling and producing content for us around the world. Want to travel the world and write about it? Contact us!
As a Liebster Award nominee, it is now our honor to nominate other Liebster Award recipients. Nominees must:
- Write a blog post about getting nominated and feature Roamaroo.com as your nominating party.
- Answer the 11 questions below.
- Create 11 questions for your nominees.
- Nominate 5 bloggers.
- Share on your social media.
Our nominees are as follows:
- Two Drifters – Amy & Nathan are drifters, dreamers, lovers and adventurers. Their well written blog is filled with tons of romantic travel trips and ideas!
- Follow Me Away – Victoria & Terrence provide fantastic photography and key budget travel tips. You should also check out their Instagram, too!
- Travel to Blank – They don’t get any cuter than Steve & Jaz. This traveling couple creates fantastic blogs and vlogs from their trips around the world.
- World Travel Adventurers – The most extensive and thorough blog covering balling on a budget. Bertraut and Alex teach you how to the world in style and without breaking the bank. Extra bonus – they have two babies and still travel the world
- Two Scots Abroad – Gemma & Craig took a career break and traveled around the world for 17 months. They have a wide-ranging list of destinations and provide a vast array of fantastic helpful travel resources.
Here are our 11 questions to our worldly nominees…